A termination package should place you in a financial position (for a given time period) identical to the one you enjoyed while still working. This includes not only a salary, but also possible benefits and compensatory items such as:
- group health coverage
- long- and short-term disability benefits
- group life insurance coverage
- employer-paid pension plan contributions
- employer-paid RSP contribution matches
- nondiscretionary bonuses
- compensation for the loss of employee benefits such as use of a company vehicle
- stock options
Even though a package may seem generous at first blush, you may still be entitled to more. Most employees do not know what constitutes a fair and full termination package and employers are not likely to inform you. Our role is to ensure that you do not leave without full compensation after a dismissal, downsizing, outsourcing or firing.
Many of our lawyers are recognized leaders in their areas of practice and know how to use effective legal strategies to assert your rights in the area of wrongful dismissal.